Thursday, September 10, 2009

Working with the president

Last night was unlike any other. And will probably remain that way for a while, at least. With other reporters in the program, I attended the joint address to Congress by President Obama. I was actually there!

As the president of the United States of America spoke about health care reform, I sat watching from above in the press gallery. Reporters, photographers and broadcast journalists filled the space with cameras and notebooks. On either side, pens and pencils made furious scribbles on notepads and people were close to hanging off the balcony to get a good photograph. I was among my own.

I shared breathing space with Michelle Obama, who looked elegant in a burnt pink outfit teamed with a glittering brooch, and widow of Senator Ted Kennedy. Both women sat in the First Lady's Box. Present in the main room were Hillary Clinton, in a signal red pant suit, Vice President Joe Biden, John McCain and Senator John Kerry.

It felt like nothing short of the Academy Awards. Star-studded and fabulous! I clapped like a seal until told not to. Oops. Faux pax perhaps, but mental note for the future.

Loved it, reveled in the moment, gabbed profusely over pizza until midnight with friends and called it a night. What a night!

6 comments:

IS said...

You make me swell with pride for knowing you my dear!
Like I told you, I saw the telecast on TV, an early morning affair in India.

All the best girl, go from strength to strength! :)

ANC said...

I'm so proud of you I could cry. I can just imagine you sitting there in your pretty formals, looking all journalistic, feeling good about this, watching it all happen, happy that you're a part of something so important!

You are awesome!

Error said...

I am sooo happy for you!!! That's a good start!! Looking forward to your work!!

Babska said...

:) :) wow!

Anil said...

you make me proud Ayesha, coz you covering politics.

Anil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.