Monday, August 31, 2009

23

I turned 23. The age that seemed impossible to reach, the day that seemed would never arrive, finally did, and it was great.

No, I didn't cut a cake the size of a small country bedecked with a dozen candles. I didn't get drunk out of my skull and take pictures that cannot be uploaded on facebook. I didn't even eat a year's worth at a restraunt that costs the GDP of a small country. I was indoors for the most part, unpacking large brown boxes and two large suitcases to get settled in for what promises to be an exciting, and sadly, my last semester at grad school.

A new city, a new course load and an experience that is anyone's guess at this point.

But apart from the "newness" factor, this birthday was special for the people who made it great. For a first birthday spent away from all family, I had to settle for their gorgeous smiles crowding for space on the webcam on another morning spent with Skype. Friends called from overseas and within the country. Old friends, new friends, school friends, friends I haven't spoken to in years - all called to say Happy Birthday Ayesha.

And my facebook wall is looking pretty cool right about now.

That's what made me the happiest. If I've gone 23 years living in a way that makes people make the effort of calling to wish me a happy birthday, I must be doing something right. Thank you to everyone who made this day special.

To a whole year of being 23 and fabulous!

2 comments:

IS said...

Ooh yes! You deserve all the wishes and a lot more gal!
Hope you have a fabulous year full of fun and frolic and a lot more.
Wishes.

(I nearly tired myself wishing you on and on for nearly 48 hours, and thinking 'her b'day must be still on'!!!)

ANC said...

You deserve this, and much. And remember, you're 23. You know what's coming up ahead ;)