Sunday, August 23, 2009

Eating my way through Summer '09

This summer, the culinary pursuits were a top priority The Cheesecake Factory - M introduced me to this one which I thought served only cheesecake an hence the name. Turns out, they have some of the most delectable pastas and chicken creations that you can enjoy in adelicious settings. Dim lighting and booth-seating with great music and a brightly-lit, glass-paned kitchen. Portion size is fantastic. I enjoyed the Chicken Bellagio, served on a bed of noodles, and the Honey Caramelized Chicken. Liked the former more than the latter.

Qdoba - Not a big fan of Mexican fare but tried this one for the offer that was available with Coolidge Corner Theater. The tortilla bowl was insanely oily, the chicken smelled of chicken fat and I wasn't allowed to trade my free drink privilege for a cookie instead. Although the price was steal, I don't find myself returning.

Zenna Noodle Bar - I felt like taking my pretty self to dinner one day, so I did. To the noodle bar at Coolidge Corner. The food was very similar to that of Noodle St., on-campus. But the decor definitely more upmarket.

India Samrat - Total diamond in the dust, this gorgeous Indian restraunt on Mass. Ave. G and I ate the thali meal here. By far, the most authentic food I have eaten on foreign soil. Affordable, great portion, great service and the oh-so-India-feel, complete with a television that plays Hindi film songs.

Addis Red Sea - Reluctantly, Pu agreed to join me to this Ethiopian restraunt in Cambridge. And we're both so glad she did. A tiny space made to look like the country whose cuisine it represents, with a thatch roof over the bar and traditional mesobs, or wicker tables, instead of wooden ones. We ate Yebeg Wot, or spicy, curried lamb and Lega Tibs, or mildly seasoned lamb, with Ethiopian bread, whose name evades me. Very similar to the Indian dosa, or crepe. Absolutely fantastic. And Pu is great company - the kind that does not think good food must be accompanied with good conversation. Strees-free eating!

P.F. Chang's - Finally tried this one at the Prudential Mall. Ordered the Singapore Street Noodles, intended to be a recreation of the original. I was disappointed with the vermicelli preperation although I'm inspired to improvise on the rough draft.

1 comment:

ANC said...

Of course, I'm awesome company. I'm awesome everything!

And I think we agreed that we can't really be sure whether Addis Red Sea was the "real" thing or not, considering we aren't Ethiopian. I'm sure all these pseudo-Indian restaurants look Indian enough to foreigners :)

On that note, let me also say, I'm going to miss you so much. And that I'm up early to drop you to the airport. APPRECIATE ME.