Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer Reading List

Here's what I read during the summer:

Marrying Anita - Fealress, flirty, female writer Anita Jain decides to take on New Delhi with New York coursing through her veins. Having become an Indian parents' worst nightmare, the single, 31-year-old, Harvard graduate travels across the world to the place her parents left so many years ago for sunnier Sacremento shores, in search of a husband. Her quest for the perfect mate leads her in to the arms of the city itself - for its friendship, it's spirit, for the comfort that comes from finding an identity.

The Man who Owns the News - The lowdown on The Wall Street Journal takeover from the Bancroft family by media mogul, Rupert Murdoch. Gaining unprecedented access and thus astounding detail, Vantiy Fair correspondent, Michael Wollf reveals the eccentricities and genius that is Murdoch. The narrative that includes few direct quotes is candid, engaging. But the writer gets in to the annoying habit of overusing a word once he introduces it. Don't blame me if I don't feel like hearing "zeitgist," leitmotif" or "flotilla" anytime soon! With a clearer understanding of the bespectacled Aussie, let's just say I'm making much better use of my WSJ subscription.

Backcast - Boston University professor, Lou Ureneck travels the rapid waters of Alaska on a shoestring budget with his 18-year-old son. Torn by a failed marriage, a beaten ego and a haunting past, Ureneck tries to build bridges with Adam. For the pain of a father's heart, for a love of life or for the sheer joy that is this writer's ability to construct fluid text, read Backcast. Needless to say, I view my Busness and Economics professor in a whole new light.

Maximum City - Suketu Mehta uncovers the seamier underbelly of Mumbai. Dim-lit lanes, overflowing gutters, prostitutes and closely-packed buildings...it's all in here and not for the faint-hearted. I thought he got a little carried away with the sex theme that seemed to be more prevalent than other elements. In comparison, I likes Shantaram slightly better for it's balance. But Mehta gets full points for his comic timing, easy style and engaging narrative. I take it as a very good sign when a book is becoming nauseatingly overwhelming but a reader can't set it down.

I began reading Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukas that examines race relations in Boston. Extremely intersting topic and well told in parts. Sadly, it couldn't hold my attention. I intend on returning to it a little later. The Google Story, Kitchen Confidential, Lies my Mother Told Me, The World is Flat, Sea of Poppies, A Suitable Boy, The White Tiger and Unaccostomed Earth update the ongoing reading list.





No comments: