Friday, July 10, 2009

The Summer Movie List

Food Inc. - After I got back from summer vacation and waited for the rest of my friends to return from their trips, I watched this film, about the food industry in the United States. A behind-the-scenes look at farming practices, poultry and cattle-rearing, potato-growing, and other unappetizing details that the general populace isn't likely to know. Definitely worth a watch although be warned: You may lose your appetite for just about anything afterwards!

Whatever Works - This talkfest by Woody Allen came a s a total surprise. A friend suggested going to this and I had no idea how it would turn out. Hilarious, bizarre plotline, strangley endearing protagonist and alarmingly engaging for something that seems so mundane on paper. I'd describe it as a less-glamorous version of Linklater's, Before Sunset. And of course, something like this is only possible in New York City!

Valentino - Mindblowingly good is what this film is! If you haven't already, you have to watch this one. Not because it's about one of the greatest designer's of all time, or that it so beautifully documents milestones in world fashion history. Because this is the closest insight you will get to the mysterious, luxurious, hypnotic world of Valentino Garavani. Shot in a non-boring documentary-style, with personal interviews and footage from the celebration to mark the designer's 40 years in fashion - it's been a while since I watched a film with such rapt attention.

Julie&Julia - How could I pass on a story that combined two of my greatest loves - writing and food. Meryl Streep...sigh. Does she ever have a bad day on the set? Does she sometimes forget her lines? Is she ever so tried that she oversleeps and is late to work? Does she ever get a zit? No? Never? Okay, just wanted to get that out of my system. She is flawless, in potraying legendary culinary writer, Julia Child. From the way she says "Bonjour!" to playing a doting wife. Magical. Many more years to her outstanding acting talent. Amy Adams fits well but her character is a little depressing. The film gets extra points for featuring Boston!

Postgrad - Alexis Bledel has been a favorite for a while, ever since Gilmore Girls. So her own movie where she's just out of college and searching for a job in the publishing industry - too close to the story of my life to pass on. Entertaning, witty and everything I wanted from this movie to tell me I'm not insane for choosing a career in journalism.

New York and Love Aaj Kal - Don't judge me. The entire two months that I was on vacation in India, moviemakers and film distributors were in some sort of tussle and wouldn't release any new Bollywood flicks in cinemas. The moratorium lifted a day after I left! So I had to get my annual dose of Hindi films. Liked the first one for a bold storyline, which sadly fizzled toward the end. The second is mindless entertainment with well-dressed Deepika Padukone to appreicate.

No comments: