Saturday, January 31, 2009

Old women, medical dramas, grocery stores and a seven-course meal

A couple of days ago, I interviewed two residents of the Community Senior Living Center. We spoke for over an hour, about their lives and what they enjoyed doing. It's safe to say these were senior citizens I was talking to. But exactly how old? One was 102 and the other was 104.

Yup, don't blink. These women had cruised past the century mark. Touchwood. The things they must have seen!

It was wonderful listening to their fondest memories, of spending time with their siblings and the life choices they made. FYI, these women live on their own, do most of their own cooking and cleaning and socialize with friends or dabble in yoga and Tai Chi in their spare time. Mental faculties intact, these women inspire us to be better people.Poised and eloquent, I felt like I was spending an afternoon chatting with girlfriends. The funniest part? One of them didn't think that she had anything worthwhile sharing about her life. Blame it on my journalistic scepticism but I find it hard to believe that someone who has been around for more than a hundred years doesn't seem as though they have anything noteworthy to share!

It was a fun afternoon and I'm so glad I had the chance to meet and speak with them.

On another note, Scrubs is ridiculous and ER is too serious. Grey's Anatomy? Just right.

Trader Joe's is my newest find. I love the range of eclectic groceries, you never know what you'll find when you walk in next week. The quality is miles ahead of the average supermarket produce. It's delicious, affordable and most importantly healthy. Most of its products don't use sythetic crap. Check the ingredients. So the food tastes like what it's supposed to...food. Oh, and I love the "Californianess" the whole store exudes. The quirky shopping carts and the Hawaiian-print work wear. The attitude is all about the Golden State.

Though it's a few blocks away and further than the supermarket just across the street that I've been patronising all of last semester, I'll make the effort for a superior shopping and dietary benefit.

And finally, Friday night at Chicago Uno Grill. I approve.

No comments: