Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Countries and Comfort in Class

I had been feeling slightly overwhelmed these past few days. With a full 16-credit course load, assignments pouring in with no indication of slowing down and an internship to balance, I felt like I was standing on upright bone china crockery while trying to pull a bunny out of a top hat. It was as though the winter break had never existed.

But today I went into my first class with Prof. Mills and for the first time in a week I felt so much at ease. That's because besides 80 percent of the class being international students, he uttered the words that every student journalist is aching to hear: Journalism is hard. If you don't find it hard, you're proabably not doing it right.

So I wasn't completely losing it. Phew!

That said, I'm excited about learing with people from so many different countries. We are from England, Egypt, Turkey, Pakistan, Norway, Taiwan, Greece and of course India! It's hilarious to note that there is only one boy in a class of about 15. Poor guy, I sure wouldn't want to be him. But most boys in the journalism program must be used to the phenomenon by now.

Point to note: The joys of curling up in bed, propped comfortably against a large pillow, wearing fleecy pyjamas and eating a bag of Doritos and cream cheese while watching TV...sigh. Every girl should have a guilty pleasure. Now you know mine.

Here's hoping the rest of the semester moves smoothly and the lone boy feels at home soon.

1 comment:

Babska said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

(and then)

Yummmmmmmmmyyyy!!! :)