Saturday, August 2, 2008

Indyeah! - A Tribute to the Tricolour

I was at the cinema today and before the trailers began, a message came up on the screen instructing the audience to stand for the National Anthem. Unquestioningly we rose from our seats and the music played. Instruments came to life with images of the Indian Army atop an icy mountain. Temperatures are clearly below freezing, it's blizzardy and bundled Indian soldiers are holding the Indian trciloured flag. It's waving furiously in the wind and the crescendo is growing louder. Before I realise it, I'm mouthing the words, matching the music. I can't tell how many instruments are being used, but it's a rich sound. I have goosebumps on my body and I feel wieghtless inside. Patriotism washes over my insides, I feel new, alive. I am proud to be Indian.

Having lived a nomadic childhhood, I always found it hard to answer the question, "So where are you from?" That's because I never felt like I belonged anywhere. Now I know that India is home. No matter where I go, that will remain constant. I am so proud to be Indian. And I'd love to shout that out from atop an icy mountain.

6 comments:

- Ubiquitous - said...

Oooo I get them goosebumps everytime I listen to the anthem too! Brrr.

Namitha said...

Ah! I'm proud of my alienated roomie! You've found your roots, finally! ;)

ANC said...

I can so identify with the homelessness and yet the fact that India is home. :)

Good stuff!

Babska said...

:) :)

- Ubiquitous - said...

Dear Miss Diva

Could we have an update of confessions, please?

In love with the city said...

Aww, it's coming my ardent fan. I apologise for keeping you waiting and thank you for being such a regular patron. I've kinda been stumped for topics lately and one just popped into my head today.