Monday, May 26, 2008

Heartbreaking News

I'm extremely excited about being a journalist. It's thrilling to think of joining the media industry one day and playing such a pivotal role in influencing public opinion and current trends. Few other prospects give me the same high. But understanding that continues to elude me is..."Why does everything always have to be about sex?"

I'm referring to a new newspaper that has recently launched in the city. (This follows closely on the heels of a advertisemnt or a mango flavoured drink that is a play on words combing the Hindi word for the fruit and the ancient Indian sex manual...children are likely to drink this!) It has an almost nude model posing seductively in a larger than life billboard in full public glare and reads: Addictive - for young minds.

I'm staring at this advertisement wondering what the publication is thinking? Is it's outlook towards the current generation so warped that they think the youth is only interested fornicating? This is a prospective employer who is likely to hire several budding reporters out there. I shudder to think that I once considered applying myself.

Yes, it's true - sex sells. Sex sells everything from cars to condoms. But that's what I find so disturbing.

And if this is any indicator to go by, is this really the industry I want to enter...?

Then I realise that shying away from it is not the solution.

It's just in desperate need of a reality check and a much-needed facelift!

1 comment:

g-man said...

people think everything is about sex because it sells, more often than not.

is it's outlook towards the current generation so warped that they think the youth is only interested fornicating? a little bit, but the reality of it isn't too far away. at least not from the people i've seen around here